Wednesday, January 19, 2011

The trip has begun!!!



Marigot Bay....Beautiful
The trip has begun!!! And…where to start with the details. I guess I’ll give ya right from the moment of impact. Landing on an island this small with a large commercial plane was interesting. As a non-pilot type, you know that point at which you think the wheels are going to meet the ground and then it really turns out to be another couple of hundred yards or so. Well, that point on an island this small is still over water. When you are expecting touch down and still see water under you…you start to sit very erect in the seat straining to look out the window and wondering where in the hell is the run way. Off course it was a safe landing but, its gets your attention right from the very first moment of the trip, that’s for sure.

The chart room...or space....ok, let's call it a crack.lol

my cockpit of my new home. Yep, there are rednecks from South Africa too!
After clearing customs I didn’t have access to the captain’s phone number due to a technical difficulty. (I accidently deleted it from my downloaded emails…oops). So, no worries, I knew that if I went to the Fisherman’s Wharf  that I cold hail the boat from another boats VHF radio. If I could find someone willing help out this person that everything non-verbal SCREAMED tourist. My four bags of gear, long sleeves, pale skin and clearly lost.  But my new found friend Lincoln, a local fisherman, and I hit it off talking about the tuna run that is happening near the island at the moment. Lincoln hailed Cinnamon Girl for me and wouldn’t even take my tip. “We don’t take tips from our own kind” he said. That kind made me feel good. At least I didn’t stand out quite as much as I thought. My dinghy ride was short and sweet since Capt Steve anchored close. We rounded the jetty and Cinnamon Girl came into view. It then that it finally hit me, I’m here. It looked so good sitting there in the Caribbean blue water. You could feel the humidity in the air, the sun was out, and the boat looked exactly like I thought it would. I’m sure a few of you would raise an eye brow if you were about to spend a chunk of time on her but, after all, this is a serious globetrotting sailing vessel. Those usually don’t look like the yachts I sell. A bit cluttered from trying to smash as much equipment and living conveniences into as little space as possible. Just the fact that I was finally here and the adventure has become reality made me take a deep breath and put on a huge smile.
Welcome aboard....can you hand me the screw driver? Ugh, what?
As I’m boarding I see floor torn up in the salon, the hole in the counter where the sink used to be and tools laying around. I just said to myself “of course….it’s a boat right?”! Lol. It didn’t matter, at that point nothing was going to ruin my mood and the captain was already preparing me his special rum punch as a welcome aboard offering. Now let me tell ya somethin’, these are NO ordinary rum drinks. Of course there was a generous portion of local St Lucian rum “Bounty” but, Steve has this whole ritual of preparing the drink going on. Four different kinds of fruit juices (pineapple, lime juice, ginger ale, guava) and then the added bonus fresh shaved, not ground, nutmeg on top. The little shaved curls of nutmeg not only make it look good and taste good but, let you know “this drink is special for you”. I am talkn bout make ya slap yo momma good! Especially after chomping at the bit to get your sabbatical started and long day of traveling.
The Capt's special rum drink. Notice the grater and jar of nutmeg, mmmmm
They have become the staple.

The crew of Cinnamon Girl is Capt Steve the South African, Michael the Russian born Chicagoan and Felix the Feline….and of course myself. The personality have meshed fairly well so far. Capt Steve is fairly level headed guy that is just trying to make the golden age of his life count by doing what he loves most. The kind of guy that I can easily spend time with and enjoy his company, take instruction from and become friends with. Michael is another story. He is as stubborn as they come. The captain who has sailed around the world on this boat will tell him how to do it one way and the he has to make an attempt to do it his way first. It’s quite comical to watch the two interact.  Michael also always feels the need to answer the questions that you ask of other people. It drives me a little crazy. His good side…he takes criticism very well and can laugh at himself which makes him bearable.
Ahhh, rum drink of course and planning the course. Does it get any better?
First mate Felix.
I arrived on Monday afternoon. The typical party ensued upon my arrival after putting the sink and boat back together. Good rum drinks were followed by even better Scotch and then it happened....Steve broke out the guitar and I dug out the harmonica. Oh yeah, it was on! We stayed up to the wee hours of the night serineding the whole sailors cove. Needless to say others sailors stopped by the next day to see how we were feeling the next and ask about our evening. In the short time I have been here it has amazed me how quickly the transient sailors bond with one another. Birds of a feather never met a stranger I guess.
The Wait….After my arrival I found out the weather has been shit for some time. We have been held up anchor with no definite plans because the forecast hasn’t promising. Plus, it’s been blowing 30-35 knots. After two days of sitting on the boat….you know me…. Michael and I needed to get off the boat and do a little sightseeing. We went into town, cruised the market and then hiked 4 miles one way up to the old light house. The views were unbelievable. We could see all of these different storm cells circling the island. Very cool. The light house itself doesn’t work but it is still manned as an emergency radio station where all traveling vessels need to log in and out. We met the attendant, Alan, who has worked there for 29 years! On our way home we stopped by the local fish market and picked us up a fresh black fin Tuna for dinner. YOU KNOW IT!!! The sushi rice I brought with me was on the stove as soon as we got back. We invited our neighboring sailor Jack over. He is 8 months into a single handed circumnavigation. He is planning on three years…..whoa!
FINALLY! 4 or 5 miles in boat shoes....worth it. You should see the view from up here.

Fresh fruit from the island.

THE man, Capt Jack who is doing the globe! Sushi and beers are a common language through out the world!
We decided to make a break for it and head north no matter what the weather is on Wednesday. We would be traveling on leeward side of the island anyway so, raise the sails…we are getting underway. We are at the bottom of the island of St Lucia at a place called Vieux Fort. We decided to stay on St Lucia to try and track down some extra dive tanks by moving 20 miles north to Marigot Bay. Vieux Fort was a dump, wild dogs/goats/chickens running everywhere, poverty stricken and a little scary to walk around. Marigot Bay just 20 miles north on the same island was the exact opposite. It was first class all the way, major yachts in harbor of 100’ plus, classy restaurants, water taxi’s everywhere, fresh local foods and sundries were being brought boat side several times every hour. It has been awesome. Plus, we passed some killer scenery on the way. The St Lucia Islands have these two HUGE rock formations that shoot just about straight up into the air called Pitons. They are nothing short of spectacular when you are sailing within a mile of them. We are going to stay here at Marigot Bay for a couple of nights and take in the sights. I think the rum drinks won’t be flowing quite as freely tonight. The capt woke up “pissed” as they say in South Africa. In the states we just call it “still being drunk”. Lol.
Capt Greg and the Pitons on St Lucia. What a day.
Had to be here moment. The tourist boat in the back ground was turning around and started to
take pictures of us. Well, Capt Steve gave them something to take pictures about.

So, as you can tell. The trip has been started off with a bang. We will have dive tanks in a day or two and now the weather is forecasted to lie down a bit and …… I’M IN THE F’N CARIBBEAN!!!! LOL.  Take care everyone. Will post again in a few days.


No comments:

Post a Comment